Tuesday, September 27, 2011

New York Cheesecake

                                   Gotta love my cat in the background....LOL



If I were to publish a cookbook, I bet it would not be hard to guess what it would be filled with....yes, you are right..It would be filled with cakes, cookies, breads, and all sorts of desserts. I wished I could make vegetable dishes and healthy foods taste as good as my desserts. When it comes to making pies though, that is my sister's job. Every Thanksgiving in my home and at Christmas, you will find a New York Style Cheesecake...The real deal!! Here is how I make it:

  • 1 package Graham Crackers crushed (I put them in a large Ziploc bag and crush them with the rolling pin.
  • 4 Tablespoons butter melted
  • 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Add crushed Graham crackers to a small bowl. Pour melted butter, sugar and cinnamon over the Graham Crackers. Mix well then add to a Cheesecake Pan. Bake the crust at 350 F. for about 7 minutes. Remove crust from oven.
Filling:

  • 5 packages softened Philadelphia cream cheese
  • 1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
In a mixer, combine softened cream cheese, sugar, eggs (one at a time), flour and vanilla. When all of the ingredients are incorporated, turn mixer on low and gently stir in sour cream, just until blended.  Pour over Graham cracker crust and bake for 1 hour at 350 F. The center of the cheesecake will just begin to split when done. For best results let cool for several hours or overnight.

Last but not least, I love a nice Raspberry or Mixed Berry sauce on my Cheesecake, so I take a small bag of either Frozen Raspberries, or Mixed Fruit and put in a small saucepan. I add 1 Tablespoon water and 1/2 cup sugar. I cook the fruit on medium heat stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes, or until sauce thickens. I then pour sauce through a Sieve to remove seeds. Let cool completely before you serve with your cheesecake. Also, this sauce stores nicely in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Last but not least, sauce up your cheesecake anyway you would like, I also love a little fresh mint and whipped cream..

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment