Monday, April 11, 2011

My idea of a layer cake

My sister, Julie, has shared some of her decadent layer cakes with you on our blog.  There is no question that she is a very good cook and extremely creative in her presentation.  As for me, I don't make decadent layer cakes.  I prefer to bake a sheet cake.  They taste the same, they may not look as pretty but they don't take as long to stack and frost and do all that greasing and flouring and wax paper stuff so they come out of the pan.  (Ask my sister sometime about the SHEET cake I made her for her 40th birthday).

My idea of a layer cake is well -- a little different -- I use a fabric layer cake to create a quilt.  (A fabic layer cake is precut 10x10 inch squares, normally about 42 of them).  This particular layer cake, pictured below, is called "Sunkissed" by Sweetwater. It features yellow, green, pink, orange, gray and cream. It is springy and fun and beautiful and won't leave any extra inches on my hips because I don't need any more. 



The actual sheet cake pictured above, if you are interested, is a Banana Cake (yummy, tastes like banana bread with frosting).  Here is the recipe. 

2 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1-1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. sour milk or buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. ripe mashed bananas
1/2 c. chopped nuts/pecans
2 eggs-beaten

Add shortening and dry ingredients.  Add 1/4 cup milk, mashed bananas and mix until flour is dampened; beat 2 minutes.  Add beaten eggs, nuts, and remaining milk.  Beat 1 minute.  Turn batter into greased and floured cake pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until it springs back with touch.  Cover with tin foil and let cool.  Once the cake has cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting and store in the fridge.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 oz. softened cream cheese
4 T. soft butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. powdered sugar

Beat altogether.  Frost your banana cake and store in fridge.

The tutorial for the quilt that I made out of the Sunkissed layer cake can be found at P.S. I Quilt under the tutorial tab.  Rachel Griffith is extremely talented and has wonderful quilt tutorials she is kind enough to share.

Julie's layer cakes always taste better -- but mine certainly have fewer calories :o)  Here it is all baked and frosted.


No comments:

Post a Comment