Monday, April 11, 2011

Teenage boy in the kitchen

A couple of months ago my 16 year old sat on his computer playing games and continually asked what there was to eat ... or will I get him something to eat.  If I told him there were leftovers he would say ... will you heat them up for me ... or if I didn't he would ask how long they would need to be heated up for.  If you have teenagers I'm sure you have heard the same things (at least I hope it's not just me).  One day I was absolutely, without a doubt, fed up.  I told him he was almost 17, that one day I hoped he would be on his own and eating more than Marie Callender's frozen pot pies and that if he had time to play computer games he had time to learn to cook for himself.  Much to my surprise, he has been doing that very thing (learning to cook) and quite proud of himself.  The goal has been to have him cook at least one meal a week.  However, because he is doing so well, he loves to rub it in that he is a better cook than me ... which may be true but I would usually rather sew than cook anyway.

So around our house lately we have had:

1.  Grilled cheese and tomato soup ... a family favorite
2.  Scones and omelets ... yummy
3.  Pancakes, bacon and eggs in the hole ... I was sick that weekend morning and he surprised me
4.  Malibu chicken ... delicious
5.  Grilled pizza ... even more delicious
6.  Shepherd's pie ... good comfort food
7.  Fruit smoothies ... refreshing
8.  Hot Pockets ... these were fun and you will love them

I don't know if I am blogging, or viewing blogs, too much but the other day he had the camera and was taking pictures of his creations ... here are a couple for you to view.  Not too bad for a young man.  Hopefully one day he will make a good husband.

Bacon, pancakes and eggs in the hole - a surprise breakfast of epic proportions.


Grilled cheese and tomato soup.




Homemade Hot Pockets (ham and cheddar cheese and pepperoni and mozzarella cheese), you can see the layers, I will post a recipe for these soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment